Monday 30 April 2012

Stop judging. Start understanding. to "I wish I didn't have Aspergers"- An AutismPositivity2012 Flash Blog Event



Dear 'I wish I didn't have aspergers',
     Just recently I have discovered my 4 year old daughter may have Aspergers. The more I read, the more I understand her and the more amazing I find my little girl. I do sometimes worry about the extra obstacles life will throw at her because of this. I know life will be harder for her and many people will sadly never know or even care why.
     Already in her short life there have been people who judge her and treat her badly because of her difference. Who refuse to see that she does not act in malice and is, if they cared to get to know her, one of the most loving loyal people they will ever know. I love how infectious her laughter is, how she can see wonderful things that others might miss (like reflections of light on a freshly mopped floor), how she can recall and has a hunger for facts, I love that she is not bound by social rules and does not hide who she is. She is who she is, quirks and all. I love her for that and I would not change her for the world. If someone told me they could take away what makes her do the things people sometimes don't like or look down on I wouldn't let them. Although it isn't all that she is, without it she would be like a jigsaw puzzle with a piece missing.
     This world would be such a boring place if everyone was just like the next person. A world full of copycats is no fun at all. Be proud you are different. You will find people who don't like who you are and the things that you do, people who do not understand you or even want to try, those people are not worth a second thought. There are also people who DO want to embrace you for all that you are and want to share all of your world with you. Let them ones in and never stop looking for them. Forums and support groups are good place to start that search. Chin up keep smiling and remember you are amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment